Thursday, April 13, 2017

Advice to a Friend About Doing a Job Like Mine

Hey there

Great to hear from you and I’d love to get together and catch up. My schedule is pretty crazy these days, so in the interim, here are some thoughts & resources that you will probably find helpful (or at least I have, anyway, lol):

1.     In the beginning, go to every networking event. In time, you’ll find the best events for what your selling and who your specific buyer is. (but expect to be out 2-4 nights a week). Yes, it’s exhausting, but it really is the best way to meet people, learn about their companies and practice sounding authoritative and helpful. I regularly look at the following sites to plan out my networking:
a.     Eventbrite.com
b.     Adclub.com
c.     Mitx.org
d.     Amaboston.org
e.     Meetup.com
f.      Google (of course)
2.     Call everyone you know who’ll respond and schedule coffee, dinner, lunch, or a call. Again, this is great practice and it leverages the fact that we all know people who know people and some of those people are prospects. Speaking of which, be clear about WHO you like to connect with. Title, industry, size of company. 
3.     At networking events, talk to everyone. I like to look at the person that intimidates me the most and go up to them first. Maybe it’s the 20something that looks like they’re 10x more successful than me already. Maybe it’s the seasoned executive with the get-the-fuck-away-from me expression on his/her face. So what. Go up to them. It’s a fucking networking event for Chrissakes. I like to open with the ever successful, “hello.” Disarming and human. Works every time.
4.     When networking, I like to learn the following three things about the company. Learning these three things will immediately help you understand how to fit into their heads and how to continue the conversation. I’ll ask these three questions in lots of indirect and conversational ways, so there’s no real clear checklist or standard way to find the answers. I like to approach it like Columbo. Just come across as casual and interested to learn the following:
a.     Where are they going? What are the key initiatives, plans, issues, etc. What do they want to accomplish for the year? What is important to that person’s boss?
b.     What resources do they have to reach those goals? What tools, talent, technologies, timing, budget? What existing vendors do they rely on? What do they think about those resources? (which leads me to the following…)
c.     What’s the gap? What are the missing components and/or what are the obstacles in the way?  (since most people are only aware of the answers to the first two questions, this third one will most often be a shared set of inputs from you and the person you’re talking to.
5.     Watch Vanessa Van Edwards videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj9QBB4bNTv29f4oFIreNmw  She breaks down the science and technique for how to quickly connect with others and be memorable. 90% of prospecting is creating a positive emotion. You want them to say to themselves, “Hey, that’s a good guy. He’s worth talking to again.” Even though I can be mr charisma at times, I still need to be aware of my behavior and I rely on her to polish my technique. (“Technique” btw, is my latest nickname for my penis)  Just kidding. Watch her stuff. Very informative and inspiring.
6.     Hit the gym every day. Take vitamins. B12 is your best friend. Not only helps with energy levels, it helps with memory. You are sprinting a marathon. You need to condition yourself to be alert and engaging at a much higher level and for a much longer duration than you’re probably used to. Plus, you’re an older bastard than I am, and when I let work/life get in the way of the gym I basically fall apart. Hopefully, you’re still jogging and such. Stay away from any kind of junk food or you’ll pay the price with drained energy and in this business, creating momentum and riding that momentum is everything. In short, think of yourself as a 747 taking off. As the 747 taxis down the runway, engines are at full blast, but it’s only going like 50 mph. Once aloft, it’s going 400+mph, but the engines are at half-power. Like the 747, if you don’t really push hard in the beginning, you’ll likely crash, sorry to say. Biz dev is all about the $$$ afterall.
7.     TAPE EVERY MEETING AND EVERY CALL. Yes, it’s illegal, but so is calling your penis “Technique.”  The details and nuances you’re going to pick up from listening to the casual things say to you will allow you to squeeze TONS of valuable intel from every conversation and move things forward. Plus, it’ll make you look smart. I have a Samsung and I use Call Recorder Pro and the Samsung app called Voice Recorder. If you have an iPhone, just look in the iTunes store for the corresponding apps. In meetings, I’ll take my keys and phone out of my pocket and just put them on the table. Sometimes, I just put my phone. Looks totally normal. Been doing it for years and no one has ever said anything. You’ll be able to grab names, numbers, directions, it’s great.  Trust me on this one.


Hope that’s helpful!  I’ll reach back out in a couple weeks and we can set something up.

J

You’re going to do just fine.


Eric

No comments: